Background

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grandma Collier

I am going to take a break in updating all of our pictures for now to update everyone on Grandma Collier. Last Weds., Jan 20th she had a minor stoke. She began getting headaches that Weds. that continued on until Friday, Jan 22nd, and then she began to get blurry eye sight. So my aunts and uncles took her into the ER. They admitted her to run some tests and observe her. They let her go back home this past Monday, Jan. 25th and she was excited to get out of the hospital. On Tuesday my mom picked her up and took her to therapy and in the middle of therapy Grandma lost her eye sight, and began to slur her speak and not make sense. So mom took her to the ER and they told us she had another stoke and this one was bigger than the last. From what I understand they said there was a blood clot and it got stuck in brain. If it were to pass it would be fatal and if they did anything to prevent it that it could be fatal. So they admitted her and Weds. they ran some tests. As of right now I do not know the results of the tests. I was up there last night, Weds. night, and she began to get some of her memory back. Even tho she still could not see, she began to remember people and things about those people. She even remembered something she had eaten a few days prior that she really liked. This morning, Thursday, Jan. 28th, I took all the kids down to the hospital to visit her (she had been asking me why I didn't bring the kids up when I came to visit her both times so I wanted to make sure they got to see her). When I got there the Dr. was talking to mom, Uncle Bryan and Aunt Kay. When we were able to go in, Grandma was beginning to see things in one of her eyes. We were all blurry but she said she could also see the clock on the wall across the room. That is good news! Apparently they want to put her on plavix (I think that's it) but the side effect could be more strokes. The other option is cumadin (sp?) but that will cause bleeding. The Doc said if it were his mom he would go with plavix. So I think that's what they're going to do. They were waiting for the neurologist to get there to meet with him as well but he had not gotten there before I left. I will update when I hear further information. I would like to thank EVERYONE who has been praying for her! Many of you may remember that this time last year Grandma had a stoke and we almost lost her. We were told on 2 different occasions to all come in and say our goodbyes. But with lots of love and prayer Grandma survived and has been progressively getting better throughout the year. Then Feb. of 2008 grandma was admitted to the hospital for a complication from a surgery (I think). She had to have surgery on her neck. I was just telling Ben that the last 2 years for Valentines Day I have spent the day down at the hospital with grandma. I had gotten a little nervous this January as I knew this was the time of year is when she doesn't do very well and now this has happened. HOWEVER I know we serve an amazing God who is capable of healing and that is who I put my trust in. I know my Grandma has lived a loving and fulfilled life, even tho there have been some bumps in the road, she has always put her faith in the Lord. I know that if the Lord gives us more time here on earth with her we will all be very grateful but if he decides that it is time to take her home then we all know she will be completely happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment