Background

Friday, January 29, 2010

Break In

So this morning was the last morning you could get Chick-fil-A free breakfast and they were giving away their yogurt parfaits. So I loaded all the kids up, went and got gas in the SUV and then treated them to some free breakfast. When we got back home we were playing in Bryce room/play room and I noticed a pool guy at our neighbors house across the street. He was kinda lingering around outside by his truck but I didn't think anything of it because they have a pool and I figured he was just taking a break or something. About an hour later, around 12:30, I put all the kids down for naps (usually they go down at 1pm but they were all up especially early this morning and were getting cranky...sure sign of nap time). As I walk out of the girls room into the living room and I see a strange man in my neighbors driveway (there was no car) and then I saw a police man walk up. So I did what ANY neighbor does...I plopped down on my sofa, made a crack in the blinds and watched! :) ALL THE SUDDEN I see my new neighbors (they just moved in like 2 months ago...if that) walking with like 7 police men from up the street and one of the police man was carrying a huge shot gun (I got nervous at that point). So I went into Bryce's room to get a better view of up the street and saw like 4 police cars, 2 undercover cars and a police SUV and a bunch more police standing down there. I then noticed my neighbors cars parked up the street as well. So I watched with a bit of un-easiness as they all went in thru the garage. The strange man standing in their driveway still stood there but he didn't seam to be anyone of importance. Then I noticed he had a pool on the back of his shirt and realized he was the same pool guy that was there earlier (but his truck wasn't there).
Then after a while a few police men came out, including the one with the shot gun, and they began walking around to the neighbors houses. So I quickly ran to put my pants on (as I had changed into some comfy pajama bottoms when we had gotten home. They were lime green with sheep on them and didn't match my shirt what so ever so I HAD to go change...hehe). So the police man came knocking. He asked me if I saw or heard anything suspicious this morning. I told him I was out for a while this morning and then told him about the pool guy when I got home. He said the pool guy came to do his job and noticed that our neighbors house had been broken into. He then proceeded to say that a bunch of hand guns were stolen and suggested I keep my doors locked and if I happen to see or hear of anything to let them know.
I felt better knowing this was not a drug bust, no domestic violence, that there were no dead bodies found and that there was not a mass murder roaming around our neighborhood. However, I did have mixed emotions because I was happy to finally know what was going on but nervous at the same time. I went around to check all my windows and found that half of them were not locked from having them open so much recently. Then I went and set our alarm to "stay" mode and called Ben to let him know what was going on. We haven't been setting our alarm when we leave because of having so many home showings (thank goodness we didn't have a showing this afternoon) but now we're going to set it and Ben's going to make sure the screamer part of the alarm is in the attic so all the neighbors will know when our alarm goes off. The best part about my neighborhood is that all of us right around here know each other and watch out for each other. We all congregate out by our mailboxes on weekends and chat or if someone is out playing in their driveway with their kids we are invited to join each other. I love knowing who all my neighbors are and that some of them are home during the day like I am. However, my neighbors that got broken into are ones that both work and are not home during the day. I am just very thankful that it was not our home. It's still a little too close for my comfort tho. I'm wondering if it's someone who helped them move in since that happens a lot when they see what you have...especially knowing they stole a bunch of guns. I don't know what all was stolen because I haven't had a chance to go over and talk to Sheri yet, our new neighbor, but I'm thinking it might have been someone who knew to go thru the back and that they wouldn't be home.
Anyhow, that was the excitement around here for today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl....I feel ya on being uneasy. Remember what happened right behind us last year! Def. keep that alarm on when you leave, it'll make you feel safer when you walk in.

    ReplyDelete