This year I was invited to a cookie exchange around Christmas time. My FAVORITE cookie to make are almond cookies so that's what I wanted to bring.
They had an award for best decorated, best tasting, most creative (and one more but I'm drawing a blank).
We were to bake 7 dozen and bag them up for each person to take some home and then bake another dozen to present and have everyone taste that night. I thought "How am I going to make almost cookies "creative" to present"...and then I got an idea. I tried looking for cookie cutters but couldn't find any that I could get my hands on that night so I drew my own on parchment paper, cut them out, laid them onto my dough, traced the cookie out and designed my own nativity set from almond cookies. Below is a picture. Now I can't take FULL credit. I did find a website that had these cookie cutters for sale (but I couldn't order them and get them to me in time) so I drew mine by hand but I went by their shapes/design. Then I made the icing and decorated each one on my own. To make each one stay, I made a thicker royal icing and made it a bit "doughy-er" and used that as my "glue". Then for the grass, I used coconut and just colored it with food coloring. It was ALL edible.
I won best decorated AND most creative. I won ribbons, and a small gift!
I LOVE doing this type of thing!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment