Background

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Time for everything

Monday, August 23rd was the first day of school in Southwest Florida. That means Kristina started Pre-K4. She's known for the past few months that she's going to start school and every time we pass her school she points it out. We began to count down the days a few weeks prior. Finally, it was the morning of her FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! It was a little earlier than Kristina was used to getting up so there was some sleepy head conversation but what ALWAYS works is when I go get Bryce and put him in her bed. That ALWAYS puts a smile on her face. She woke up, ate her oatmeal for breakfast, brushed her teeth, got dressed, we braided her hair (at her request) and then loaded up to head off to school.

On the way there Kristina was singing silly songs and when we pulled in the parking lot she got all giddy. She and Vanessa both got out of the car and started dancing up to the front door while Bryce and I followed behind. I had my camera and caught some of the pictures. I just remember thinking "Gosh, I thought Kristina would be all clingy and nervous. This is going to be easier than I thought."

When we go inside, I checked her in and we went to the playroom where all the kids meet before their teachers come and get them for class. We were very early so we got to go into Kristina's classroom early and take pictures and let her get familiar with the room. (Only Kristina, Bryce and I went to check out her classroom because Nessa wanted to stay in the playroom...she didn't even notice we were gone. She had found a kitchen and baby play set and was in play heaven!).
The head principle came in and explained things to us and then we met their teachers. Kristina's teacher is Ms. Tina (sounds like Kris-Tina hehe. That's how I'm getting Kristina to remember her teachers name). When Kristina heard her teachers name she turned to me and said "She has a pretty name". I found that kinda funny because it's actually part of her name.

THEN she began to get clingy when she saw a lot of kids begin to line up. All the parents walked our kids to their classrooms behind the teachers and took them in to get settled. Nessa ran right into the room and began to play with another kitchen set in the room and Kristina began to full fledged cry it out. Fortunately I planned ahead and had brought Bryce in the stroller so I could pick Kristina up. It was time for us to leave so Ms. Tina came over, knelt down and hugged Kristina so I could go get Nessa and leave.
Vanessa, of course, didn't want to leave and cried saying "I want to go to school". I got Nessa calmed down out in the hallway and some of the other mothers told me Kristina had calmed down and was making a friend. That only took like 30 seconds. :) I was happy. THEN as we were leaving Nessa told me she left her blankie in Kristina's classroom. I sent her in to get it and she went right back to the play kitchen. The only thing to do was to run in and get her and hope Kristina wouldn't see me. As soon as Nessa saw me coming she grabbed her blanket and yelled (really loud) "I GOT IT!" Ms. Tina laughed and said "I thought I counted an extra head" and Nessa and I ran out. I did notice that Kristina saw us (how could she miss us) but she didn't start crying. It was a successful first day.

Nessa cried, again, as we were leaving asking where her sister was but settled down after she got in the car and learned she could sit in sissy's car seat next to Bryce. When we got home I sat Nessa down and told her today was HER first day of school. We got some crayons and coloring pencils out with a coloring book. Bryce got a new toy and sat near us and played while we colored. I took that time to familiarize Nessa with her colors and some shapes to make it an official "school time" activity. She really enjoyed having mommy almost all to herself. Bryce is a very chill kinda guy and plays well by himself but I did take some time to sit on the floor and play with him.

It was finally time to go pick Kristina up and she and Nessa were excited to see each other. They gave big hugs and when we got in the car Kristina told us about her day. When we got home I took a video of her explaining how her day was. I will post that video in the next post along with a very short video of Nessa saying how she missed her sister.

DAY 2
The next morning was easier because Kristina already knew what to expect. I could tell she was excited. When we got to school she played with Nessa in the playroom until her teacher came to get the class. Then she grabbed my hand and said "Mommy walk me to my room". We walked her to her room and she found the friend she made from the first day, her name was Grace. So Grace and Kristina hesitantly walked into the room together and Nessa was right behind them. I had to grab Nessa's hand and tell her that only Kristina could go into her classroom. That set Nessa off and the tears began to roll. Once again, when Nessa realized she got to sit in her sissy's car seat next to Bryce it made it all better. Day 2 was a success for Kristina but a little harder on Nessa. I began thinking about it and realized that this was just as hard on Nessa as it was for Kristina. She's used to almost always having big sissy with her and so for her to be away from her for 3 hrs every day  is a big change for her too.

DAY 3
Now that we've gotten the "beginner jitters" out of the way (for all of us), today went smooth as a button. Kristina went right to class and Nessa said her goodbye's and did much better. With the exception of Monday, I've came home and put Bryce down for a nap so it's been really nice these last two days just having one on one time with Nessa. We have read books, colored, played with toys, and she's been very snugly with me. I am really going to enjoy having this time with Vanessa because I've felt like I've never really gotten it.

When we went to pick up Kristina today I put Bryce in Vanessa's car seat (his first time in a big boy car seat facing forward) and he loved every minute of it. He literally talked/babbled the whole way there.

We got Kristina, the girls gave big hugs again to each other and we all got settled in the car. Kristina had painted a picture and put it in her backpack so when we were all settled and buckled in I took it out so we could all look at it. It was definitely a picture of a person. Kristina said it was a picture of me. I noticed there was a red dot in my tummy area of my body. I thought it was a heart but when I asked Kristina she said "No, mom that's a baby in your tummy." LOL I got a very good laugh out of that as she's been talking a lot lately about me having another baby sister and another baby brother for her. It made my day and now I proudly have it hanging on the refrigerator.

Day 4 went well for everyone.

Day 5 was a bit special. Daddy took the day off because I was flying out that morning to go to my cousins wedding in Tenn. and wouldn't be back until Monday afternoon. We all loaded up and took Kristina to school as a family. Ben got to meet her teacher and see her classroom. Kristina was very excited and proud to have daddy there. Then I fly out a few hours later.

Ben picked Kristina up from school on Friday and was home with all three kids all weekend. He got them all dressed (and the girls hair brushed and in pony-tails) and took them to church on Sunday (This was his first time EVER having all 3 kids where he had to get them all up, fed, ready and take them somewhere. He's had all 3 before but never left the house with them). Monday morning he did the same and took Kristina to school and picked her up that afternoon. I am SO very proud of him for all his hard work this weekend and was very thankful for him letting me go and visit with my family. Thank you Babe. I love you so very much!!!

Those are the events of Kristina's first week of school!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jami....I've been looking forward to reading about this. I'm glad her first week went so well! I'm sure it was a relief to you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete